[NAGDU] Please Join Us for a Conference Call to Discuss the Challenges of Working a Guide Dog as a Blind Parent

heather.l.bird at gmail.com heather.l.bird at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 20:29:53 UTC 2018

(Please note) This call does, unfortunately, conflict with the NAGDU level
calls which typically take place on the 4th Sunday of the month. This is the
last such conflicting call. Calls beginning in November 2018 will be moved
to the 3rd Sunday of every month, as we wish to encourage participation in
both NYAGDU and NAGDU calls for all who are interested in both. Hello.
Please join us this Sunday, October 28th at 7:30 P.M. if you are a member of
the New York Association of Guide Dog Users, or if you are a member of the
Blind Parents of New York Group. Also, guide dog handlers, prospective guide
dog handlers, or current or prospective blind parents, whether they are NFB
members, or ACB members, or those who choose to belong to neither one are
all welcome. This is an informational call to benefit any and all blind
parents/guide dog handlers, so please spread the word. This call is the
first in a series of NYAGDU calls where we work to build bridges between our
division and various other divisions and groups. We will cover topics such
as how to work a guide dog while wearing babies in carriers, walking with
toddlers and older children, pulling or pushing strollers, home training
with children at home, leaving children to train at an on-campus program,
juggling the demands of your children and your guide, ensuring that your
match is able to tolerate small children, and more. Please invite anyone who
cares for children or who works a guide dog to this call. Individuals living
outside of New York state will be more than welcome on these calls, until
and unless we consistently achieve numbers in access of 20 participants
going forward. The call will take place beginning at 7:30 and will run until
8:30, but participants are welcome to stay on the line and chat as late as
9:30. The call-in number is (605) 475-4786 and the pass code is 869480.
Please circulate this among your chapters, and your friends and on guide dog
or parenting lists. Want to discuss other travel logistics as blind parents
aside from guide dog related topics?

Please come to the Blind Parents of New York Call tomorrow, Wednesday
October 24th at 8:00 P.M. to discuss such topics as white cane use while
traveling with children, air travel, subways and buses, how to manage
children who are themselves white cane users, and more. The call-inn number
and pass code are the same (605) 475-4786 869480.

If you have any questions, please contact Heather NYAGDU (585) 739-6473 or
Candice, BPNY (585) 645-2716.