[NAGDU] Another Airline Question

alysha.jeans at gmail.com alysha.jeans at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 17:42:08 UTC 2018

Since all the new service animal policies have been instituted, I've had
trouble with airline employees hassling me at the gate for not notifying
them in advance about my dog. I'm usually all for advocacy and education,
but the gate agents don't listen to a word I say even when I pull up their
own policies on my phone to show them, and my frustration level with this is
going through the roof. So in order to avoid this drama for an upcoming trip
with United, I caved and indicated that I have a guide dog when I bought my
tickets. A few days later, I got an email from them with a subject line that
partially read "New SSR Request" asking what service my dog performs and
what are his weight and breed. Maybe I'm just being stubborn, but I really
think that the only piece of info they need is what service he performs. I
answered the email saying that as I indicated in my reservation, I have a
guide dog. Well, they emailed me back saying that if I don't answer all
their questions, they won't be able to add my animal. Does anyone know why
they need to know my dog's weight and breed, and am I required to provide
that info? Also, what does SSR stand for? Are they going to flag me as
needing assistance at the airport? I'm tempted to just ignore their emails,
but I know this will just cause more issues when I arrive for my flight.
Thanks for any insights!

Alysha