[NAGDU] Lease contract provisions regarding service dogs

Matt Hackert matt.hackert at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 14:26:29 UTC 2019

Good morning all,
My family and I are relocating to the Baltimore area, and for a period, are going back to renting. I got the lease contract last night, and it includes some language about the tenant agreeing to pay for professional cleaning and flea extermination if they have a service dog. I am trying to find out if the landlord meant only if they found evidence of fleas when we vacate, or if regardless, we h to pay for such treatment.
I am not an ADA expert, but I don't see anything there that overtly contradicts the ADA. Nevertheless, I'm not sure I she be forced to pay for something like this, when I give my dog regular flea, tick and heartworm prevention; the implicit assumption that my dog is unkempt doesn't sit well.
Anyway, I wondered if someone with more expertise might be willing to weigh in and give me some advice on how to negotiate on this point. Again, if my dog does cause damage, or does end up with a flea problem, well then sure, that's my responsibility to remedy.
Your insight is greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
Matt Hackert

Sent from my iPhone