[NAGDU] guide dog question

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 02:25:56 UTC 2019

There is really no right or wrong answer here. You certainly can leave your guide home from time to time, and this is something you will need to decide based on your individual preferences and your particular dogs strengths and weaknesses. You definitely want to be working the dog the majority of the time of course, but it is perfectly exceptable to leave your dog for a few hours once or twice a week.
Personally, I have brought my guides with me in several different situations which involved a lot of livestock or other dogs, and they did an excellent job. In these situations though, I am interacting with the other animals minimally. When I want to work directly with another animal for an extended period of time, I find it easiest to leave my dog home, or occasionally work my dog to the location and leave them in a safe area. For example, if the route to the stable was particularly difficult, you could consider working the dog to the destination  and then leaving the dog in a crate in a safe area while you ride.  If you are comfortable using your cane though, your dog will be fine alone occasionally. It’s actually a good idea to leave any dog alone from  time to time so that they do not develop separation anxiety.
Danielle

Sent from my iPhone