[NAGDU] guide dog question

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Wed Apr 10 12:57:05 UTC 2019

Interesting discussion. I'll just repeat what others say that it's your
judgment call... I, for example sometimes take my dog to places that
other handlers don't, and I know handlers who take their dogs to places
I don't--smile.

I would agree with others that the first few weeks or months you should
really work on the bonding, but also, it's good for you to have a dog
that you can leave for a bit. I know we humans love it when our dogs are
overjoyed to see us as  it makes us feel special i know it does do that
for me--smile. but, honestly you're better off having a dog who will
take your leaving   for a while  in his stride and not show anxiety.
Parker would prefer me to be here, but when I leave him he takes it in
his stride and just sleeps and I'm happy about that...the only way to do
that I think is gradually get them used to being left alone...i tend to
leave me dog more than I did at the beginning of my dog guide using life...

Now,  I've met some handlers who bring their dogs to dog shows and horse
shows, I don't know  if I would or not, I have no idea...here again,
depends on you. I see no problem with  leaving your dog if necessary
and I am glad you asked.

  as it's a good question for discussions nd we all have different
approaches.

Dan W.

dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
skype: danw9703