[NAGDU] Horrible Left Tendency

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 14:59:09 UTC 2019

Hi all,

This has probably been discussed before, so I apologize for repeated
topics.  But how have you handled a ridiculously pronounced left
tendency your dog continues to display?  My dog, Bill, is 7 years old,
and he has gotten super stubborn lately about sticking to the left
side of everything.  I mean that he will hug walls, keep me on the
left sides of sidewalks to the point where I am hesitating to walk so
close to the edge or to the buildings we're nearly brushing up
against, and he pretty much refuses to redirect towards to the right.

I know dogs are trained on the left.  I know they prefer the left.  I
have mentioned this to my school, and they don't seem to think it's a
big deal.  But it's creating problems for me as I try to walk with
others.

I have used his leash to show him where I want him to walk.  I've
corrected for hitting walls and corners with his harness.  I've also
just stopped when he actively shoots to the left as we walk.  When I
let go of the harness, he literally walks to the left.  I have an
offset handle, and it's possible I lean to the right, and he is
reacting to oppose my motion, but I dislike being pulled to the left.
It makes me feel uncomfortable.  He still takes me around obstacles to
the right, so maybe there is hope.

Any ideas?  I don't use food rewards much, but if it's the best
solution for fixing this, I can break them out again.  Working with my
first dog was a battle much of the time for this and other reasons.  I
absolutely love working this dog.  He is responsive and well-behaved
and teachable, but this challenge is only creating a dividing line
between us.  Thank you in advance.

--
Julie A. McGinnity
MM Vocal Performance, 2015; President, National Federation of the