[NAGDU] applying for a guide dog

mike at michaelhingson.com mike at michaelhingson.com
Thu Aug 29 02:45:16 UTC 2019

I will add in some thoughts.

Madison, first of all o&M instructors are not necessarily knowledgeable
about guide dogs including a user's pace. I urge you to contact GDF and
start the application process to see if, as Cindy asked, they come out to
interview and observe you. Also, applying gives you an opportunity to
interview the school. It is a two-way process.

I also urge you to apply to more than one school, especially since you have
not used a guide dog before. Gaining a broader perspective is important.
After hearing from several schools you may find you like something about
another school more than GDF. I am not trying to discourage you from going
to GDF. I am, however, urging you tolearn more about several schools
including their views on your travel skills.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson