[NAGDU] Three advantages to use a cane at walking with a guide dog.

mike at michaelhingson.com mike at michaelhingson.com
Fri Aug 30 23:07:11 UTC 2019

See below.

-----Original Message-----
From: NAGDU On Behalf Of Dr.dbTarzan via NAGDU
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2019 3:12 PM
To: nagdu at nfbnet.org
Cc: Dr.dbTarzan <dr.tarzan at rakuten.jp>
Subject: [NAGDU] Three advantages to use a cane at walking with a guide dog.

Hi, I'm Tarzan from Japan.

I wonder there are three advantages to use a cane at walking with a guide
dog.

1. Defending the user's body
The cane, not user's body, hit the obstacle even if the dog failed to escape
it.
[[[[Michael Hingson]]]] I am not sure what you mean. Please explain.

2. Getting information
User can get any information with a cane.
For example, steps, grooves, curbs, etc.
[[[[Michael Hingson]]]] Information is also available with a guide dog. Dogs
stop at curbs. Dogs guide and actually see to go around things long before
you encounter them with a cane. I do believe that canes do provide some
information that the dog won't only because the dog will go around obstacles
while a cane finds them and then you go around them.

3. Calling attenstion to those around the user Let people know that i do not
walk a dog, walk with a guide dog.
So, poople should take care of me!
[[[[Michael Hingson]]]] A dog in harness is a well-known image that people
understand. I do not want people to "take care of me". I do want them to be
sensitive to the fact that I am as capable as anyone with sight except that
I will obtain information in different ways.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

The Michael Hingson Group, INC.
"Speaking with Vision"
Michael Hingson, President
(415) 827-4084
info at michaelhingson.com
To order Michael Hingson's new book, Running With Roselle, and check on
Michael Hingson's speaking availability for your next event please visit:
www.michaelhingson.com

To purchase your own portrait of Roselle painted by the world's foremost
animal artist, Ron Burns, please visit http://www.ronburns.com/roselle

There make user's walking safer.