[NAGDU] Three advantages to use a cane at walking with a guide dog.

Julie Johnson julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Aug 31 01:22:29 UTC 2019

My thoughts...
1. Defending the user's body
The cane, not user's body, hit the obstacle even if the dog failed to escape
it.
Julie:  Well, this is how I do things with a dog I am training, or I set up
obstacles where I know where they are and can anticipate.  However, with a
fully trained guide, I expect they will stop to indicate or go around
obstacles automatically.  If I am making contact with things, something has
gone wrong. I will correct, rework or completely retrain as needed.

2. Getting information
User can get any information with a cane.
For example, steps, grooves, curbs, etc.
Julie: Yes, but the dog should be able to stop to indicate these things.
Probing out with a foot or hand typically gives the additional info needed.
I do find with a new guide that a cane can be useful to figure out what he
is indicating, but I would only get it out as needed, not to be continually
used. I carry a cane with me for the first few months with a new dog and
always when I travel away from home.

3. Calling attenstion to those around the user
Let people know that i do not walk a dog, walk with a guide dog.
So, poople should take care of me!
Julie: I think people know that I am walking with a guide dog and by
extension that I am blind.  If they don't, I don't really care.  So long as
I am extended the same courtesy as other pedestrians, I am satisfied.  If I
need directions or something, I'll ask.  I can't think of anything else I
would need for people to do for me  that would be different than what they
would do for other customers.

Of course, pedestrian laws, traffic patterns, pathways and so on are
different in different countries.  It could be that my experiences are not
what could be reasonably expected in other places.  If what you are doing is
working for you, then by all means do that.

Julie
On The Go with Guide-and-Service-Dogs.com
http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com
also find my products in the Blind Mice Mega Mall
<https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=1916046>
I wonder there are three advantages to use a cane at walking with a guide
dog.

1. Defending the user's body
The cane, not user's body, hit the obstacle even if the dog failed to escape
it.

2. Getting information
User can get any information with a cane.
For example, steps, grooves, curbs, etc.

3. Calling attenstion to those around the user
Let people know that i do not walk a dog, walk with a guide dog.
So, poople should take care of me!

There make user's walking safer.

-----
No virus found in this message.