[NAGDU] Have you traveled to Japan with your dog?

Peter Wolf pwolf1 at wolfskills.com
Wed Dec 4 00:14:58 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

Its time for a fresh inquiry.  Who has been to Japan with your dog?

This is a specific country inquiry.  Japan, on reading, may present a problem.  My wife (who is teamed with a head injury service dog), and I (a guide and balance service dog) have flown and traveled to many countries all together primarily through Europe a number of times over the years, and it has gone fine.

But I read that upon entry to Japan, they may require that a service dog owner sign over Power of Attorney to customs.  This to us is unacceptable.  If we were to have any kind of mishap in terms of communication, honesty or anything else, this means that we could end up encountering an unrequired quarantine, or possibly even lose a dog.  Does anyone know anything about this?

 If you have traveled to Japan, other than presenting the normal 3rd party health information from your vet, endorsed by USDA and presenting copies of a rabies certificate, were you ever asked to sign over anything about your dog?

There’s USDA APHIS, and of course there is the Japan Consulate for normal inquiries, but this question remains an unanswered.  Please let me know if you know a way to find this out.

Thanks,
Peter

Connecting With the Wisdom of the Earth
Executive & individual coaching, consultation, and nature-based facilitation
www. Wolf Leadership Institute . com
707. 829 - 0776