[NAGDU] Aira, or Be My Eyes

Julie Johnson julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Feb 9 11:42:10 UTC 2019

Scott,

I'm understanding that you don't have a guide dog yet, but are in the
process of getting one.  Congratulations, I hope the wait isn't too long and
that you get a lovely dog who will work for many years.

While dogs can see, they don't understand things in the way people do and of
course cannot communicate to the level that people do.  Dogs know, right,
left, find the next right/left, stairs, elevator and so on.  Most will
indicate familiar places or turns and you can certainly teach your dog to
target things.  However you cannot go into a mall and tell your dog to find
the Apple Store.  You have to know where it is and direct your dog.   If you
go there a lot, your dog can learn how to get there with little help from
you, but you have to teach it first.

Getting lost with a guide can and absolutely does happen.  Just last week I
turned down what I thought was a shortcut through an alley when actually it
was a driveway to a parking lot.  It's close to my home and I figured out
the mistake quickly, but if I was traveling in someplace unfamiliar and this
happened it could have taken much longer to figure it out.  Having the means
to get help at the tap of a finger is reassuring, especially when it's so
cold.

Julie
On The Go with Guide-and-Service-Dogs.com
http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com
also find my products in the Blind Mice Mega Mall
<https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=1916046>