[NAGDU] GDF questions

David david at bakerinet.com
Tue Feb 12 03:52:02 UTC 2019

Madison,

A real plus for me at GDF was the 2 students per instructor feature.  I
had been to O&M training at Leader Dogs for the Blind in Rochester,
Michigan (LDB).  While the O&M training was wonderful and 1 on 1, I
watched as others receiving dogs went out with 4 and 5 students per
instructor.  This meant that in a 2 1/2 hour period, they spent 2 hours
waiting for others to finish their sessions with their instructor.  That
may not be the same now, but it is something to think about when you're
looking at programs.   The GDF program is intense, but I got a lot of
instructor time in that 10 days.  At age 75 when we were there, I was
pretty close to capacity in terms of stamina and concentration.  I would
have lost my mind with all the down time at LDB, though.

*David in Clearwater, FL*
*david at bakerinet.com*