[NAGDU] the fetch command

Jenine Stanley jeninems at icloud.com
Tue Feb 19 00:38:22 UTC 2019

Yes, retrieve was used by many programs in the past. Another reason why it was dropped was how it was being taught. Many schools, for expedience sake, used the forced fetch training method, which I won’t go into here as I don’t know the exact details of it but it was very physical in nature, as in pinching an ear until the dog took an object. Anyone who actually knows how the Force Fetch was taught back in the day, please chime in.

Many graduates either didn’t use the command or didn’t use it enough for the dog to be reliable. You think you’d use a command like that a lot but hmmm, maybe not so much, or maybe the dog just wasn’t into retrieving.

With the clicker and many service dog training techniques coming into favor at various programs, maybe we’ll see Fetch again in a different, much friendlier form.