[NAGDU] Introduction

Martine Abel martine.the1 at xtra.co.nz
Sun Feb 24 05:12:36 UTC 2019

Hi all,

Thought to introduce myself as a new subscriber to this list, although I've
already emailed about my experiences taking a guide dog into prisons.

I am Martine Abel-Williamson with my 3rd guide, Westin. I live in Auckland,
New Zealand. I was born in Namibia and then immigrated to South Africa and
from there I moved to NZ. I got my first guide from the South African Guide
Dog Association and my next 2 from the Blind Foundation here.

My interest in joining this list is because of a current role I have as the
World Blind Union (WBU) lead, access to the environment and transport which
includes needing to draft, with the help of my working group, statements and
policies around international travel with guide dogs, guide dog access to
spaces, etc. I am the Treasurer of the WBU.

I've got experience in traveling overseas with my guide dog and often,
following an aray of bureaucratic, fragmented processes levels, including
around inaccessibility of the needed documentation to fill in, varying
advice from professionals re which paperwork to complete and the lack of
communication between countries' animal welfare and customs departments, as
well as the cost of all the permits to be signed off, including medical
testing costs.

4 years ago we did a world-wide survey on international travel and I believe
some of you would have contributed as we've asked all our 6 regions to
participate and spread the word, so, thanks for that. If anyone wishes to
see that results, just let me know off-line if that would work better or I
can email it to someone who could post it onto an available space for you.

I'm also hopeful to, sometime soon, join you at a NFB NAGDU conference in
person.

Well, I'll stop rambling for the moment, just wanted to let all know I'm
enjoying your contributions and learning from all the shared experiences.

Cheers

Martine