[NAGDU] collars and getting a dog's attention

Julie Johnson julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Jan 9 18:51:55 UTC 2019

If the collar is working to manage behavior and the issue is the skin/fur, I
would first try the same style of collar in a different material.  So if
she's using a nylon collar, try leather.  It could be something in the dye
or the material itself that the dog is sensitive to.

To manage distractions, I use a wide variety of techniques and tools
depending on the particular dog and the situation.  Here's a list in no
particular order.
*a verbal correction, sometimes this is no, leave it or even just a sound
that the dog knows means he has goofed
*a leash/collar correction.  I have used just about every collar available
over the years.  Currently Monty works in just a plain buckle collar.  Jetta
is in a nylon martingale.
*stopping and having the dog sit in a sort of time out.  this is beneficial
for me too.
*stopping to do a bit of obedience or targeting or something similar
*my new and most favorite is to step and call the dog to me.  This is a bit
more complicated because you are doing several things simultaneously,
stepping back, dropping the harness handle. giving small tugs on the leash,
calling the dog and paying attention to your surroundings so you don't back
into a bush or something
*heeling the dog and using a sighted guide or getting out the cane.  I've
only done this a handful of times over the past 15 years or however long
it's been, but sometimes I've just had enough and need to get on with
getting on
*altering the route.  if I know a particular house has a dog that is going
to lunge at the fence and create a ruckus for me and my dog and I have the
option of walking some other way to get where I am going, I will
*talking the dog through the situation.  sometimes the dog just needs a bit
of extra coaching to keep focused and on task
*a gentle pat.  I have only ever used this with Monty.  sometimes he gets to
looking at something new or novel and doesn't seem to hear me.  if I bend
down and give his shoulder a pat he's back with me and happy to do what I'm
asking.  He's older though, so maybe this is an aging thing?  Sometimes I
get lost in my own thoughts and have to have people repeat things.  I'm not
trying to ignore them, honest

There are likely others, but that is what immediately comes to mind. I hope
it will help your friend.
Julie
On The Go with Guide-and-Service-Dogs.com
http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com
also find my products in the Blind Mice Mega Mall
<https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=1916046>