[NAGDU] collars and getting a dog's attention

Lisa Belville missktlab1217 at frontier.com
Thu Jan 10 18:53:35 UTC 2019

Hi, Dan.

There is a kind of collar with stainless steel links that are large and
loosely woven together.  I want to say this is called a fur saver
collar, but I could be wrong.  I know you and I got our dogs at GDA a
few years apart, but we may have the same type of collar.  the collar
Paige has is one of the stainless steel ones with small, tightly woven
links.  Paige's neck fur isn't thinning, but it does get mashed down and
even after a good zoom groom and Furminator session her fur is still not
as smooth or fluffy as the rest of her body.  I'm not sure if these
collars can be used with or adapted to be martingale collars, but I am
just throwing the idea out there.  She could try a search for Fur Saver
Collar on Amazon. . . They have numerous sites for just about every
country out there.

As far as dealing with distractions, I think knowing when your dog is
getting distracted as early as possible helps keep things from
escalating.  I rarely need to use a leash correction with Paige except
when she decides to vaperlock her nose to a particularly interesting
phone poll or that particularly fascinating spot of grass in front of
her groomer.

Being proactive also helps, assuming your friend knows her dog and what
really distracts it.  I know Paige gets sidetracked by people at her
level.  She's a tall dog with that long Golden neck, so navigating tight
crowded places like busy restaurants is a sure distraction for her.  I
try to hold her collar as close to her neck as possible while using the
harness as normal in my left hand.  Paige is very person-motivated and
can't seem to understand that not everyone is in love with her Golden
Lab cross awesomeness.  Oh, who am I kidding. . . They are, and that's
the problem.  <sigh>  Working a dog with two hands isn't always my first
choice, but I figure that keeping her on task is worth the inconvenience.

I also use the phrases Leave it or Hop up if I can sense she's not
focused or seems to veer off of the straight line.  This is usually a
subtle movement, so even if I'm not positive she's zoning out, I'll use
those phrases to keep her from completely losing touch with reality.

Lisa Belville

missktlab1217 at frontier.com