[NAGDU] Boots

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 16:32:54 UTC 2019

I also have the Pawz boots, and really like the fact that they are so
cheap and come with something like 12 to a box. They rarely fall off,
but it's no big deal if they do because you always have extra. My dogs
don't need protection from cold, just salt and ice build up so they
are great. I've never tried them on hot pavement but know from others
they aren't effective for long walks. They might be somewhat helpful
for short distances like walking across a parking lot, but I've never
personally tried.

The difficulty in putting them on is their major downfall IMO. Thai
can be a little sensitive about prolonged handling of his feet. He
started getting really reluctant about putting on the Pawz boots. I
need to figure out a better way of holding the boots open and holding
the paw in place simultaneously. I haven't tried them on Jackie yet.

I do also have a set of Ruffwear Summit Trex boots, which are sold in
pairs. If I'm remembering correctly, I have 2.5 in for front paws and
2.25 in for back paws. I used them on Thai, and they are the only
boots that actually stayed on his feet. I used them once on Jackie,
and three of the four fell off. Fortunately, I was walking with
someone else at the time who was able to find them. A smaller size
won't be large enough for her feet, so I'm going to try the Ruffwear
socks underneath next time. They do seem to help a bit with keeping
boots on.

Sizing of boots can be a bit tricky. I ordered the correct size for
Thai for front paws the first time, but too small for back paws. GDF
told me what size Jackie was and gave everyone an opportunity to try
on the boots in class. I don't know who measured her feet, but they
were way off. They had 2.75 on her front paws which were OK but
perhaps a bit too big, and 3 inches on her back paws which were
ridiculously huge.

Danielle, Thai, and Jackie