[NAGDU] Long train ride

Lisa dreamymarmot93 at yahoo.de
Sun Jul 21 11:03:57 UTC 2019

Hi all,

As you might recall, I've had my first guide dog for almost 5 years now.
We have, however, not travelled long distances much in the last few
years. We mostly worked around our hometown and took train or bus rides
of 3 or 4 hours.

Now, however, I'm planning a trip including a 7 hours train ride and
it's a direct connection.

My dog has a quite strict relieving schedule. I don't mean I make it
strict, but his body is just very used to the daily relieving times. So,
he spends in the morning, then again at noon, say between 12 and 2 pm,
and then again in the evenings. Our train journey will be from 10 AM to
5 pm and I'm worried that he'll have to go in the afternoon.

I'm planning on giving him just a small amount of kibble for breakfast
so that won't be a problem. But if it's going to be hot, I can't
restrict the amount of water he drinks, can I? The train ride is a
direct connection, so we won't get the

What do the frequent travellers say? Does anyone of you have a dog
that's also very used to the same relieving time every day? How do you
handle these situations?

Thanks in advance!

regards from Germany

Lisa