[NAGDU] Some Questions About Guiding Eyes

Susan Jones sblanjones11 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 30 17:47:17 UTC 2019

The following is my observation based on my own and others' experiences that
I know of:

Backtracking is a rare skill, difficult to teach.
Requires lots of time and effort.
Just as some humans have a much better sense of direction than others, some
dogs have an intuitive sense of location, and others require micromanaged
directions from their human partners at all times.  Some dogs are so present
to the moment and focused on what they're doing right now, others seem to
have a built-in GPS.
Like any working relationship with an animal, it's up to the human to figure
out what strengths and weaknesses both human and animal bring to the table,
and figure out the most efficient way to work together.
The instructor who has been training your dog hopefully would give you some
good information about how to make the most of your partnership with your
dog, but as you work together, you'll learn a lot, and find many things you
can teach your dog that he or she was not introduced to in basic training.

Susan