[NAGDU] Some Questions About Guiding Eyes

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 18:00:12 UTC 2019

Hi Danielle,

I've had good experiences with Guiding Eyes.  Both of my dogs have
come from that school, and I've found them to be solid dogs with a
respectable set of skills and behaviors.  That being said, I received
my current dog 5 years ago and know how quickly things change at
training programs.  I admire and respect the woman who trained both my
dogs and have found the trainers in general to be knowledgeable and
helpful.

I didn't know about back tracking or what it even was, but I am kind
of a control freak and don't like to allow my dog to completely
dictate where I go.  I like taking input from my dog, and I like
teaching him patterns and rewarding him for taking me to doors or
stairs I frequent in places I go, and the school does support this of
course.  I'd say though that as long as your safe, there would be no
harm in working on back tracking in general, and the school shouldn't
really care one way or another.

I literally just had my first visit with a field rep in almost five
years.  So...  No annual visits required from what I understand.  The
school likes for you to fill out annual reports, and I try to do this.
But this is mostly for data collection purposes.

I would recommend finding someone who has been to class at GEB more
recently though as they will know more about the current policies and
practices of the school than I will.

Good luck!

Julie