[NAGDU] Shopping with a guide dog and indoor relieving?

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 13:04:44 UTC 2019

Hi Sandra,

Welcome to the list!  I wanted to respond to your last thread but was
swamped at work.  So I'll take a few moments to address some points
here.  If you want to email me off list, I'm cool with that of course.

Indoor relieving: my dog will *not* relieve indoors.  Like others on
the list, he just won't go in those inside airport relieving areas.
Part of it in his case stems from his size.  Those indoor relieving
areas are just too small to accommodate a 75 LB labrador.  They do
have puppy pads for relieving, but you would have to train the dog to
know what they're for.  For long flights they might benefitial, and I
know people who have used them before.  My first dog didn't have a
problem relieving on concrete under an a covered patio, but my current
dog doesn't like it so much.  It depends on the dog.

As for shopping, I either use a backpack or just carry a few shopping
bags on my arm.  If I have a heavy load, I much prefer a backpack to
anything else.  You can fall on your backpack if you twist yourself
around, and there are nice backpacks created to put less pressure on
your back.  I'm talking about hiking backpacks.  They are nerdy, but I
loved my backpack that would clasp in front of me because it felt
secure and hurt my back less than a typical style.

As a performer, it will be critical for you to tell the school what
you need.  A flexible dog who can handle long days, new environments,
and slightly altared schedules.  There are most certainly dogs that
can handle this, but you have to be clearer than ever with the school
that this is your need.  A dog who can sit still as you do rehearsals
and concerts and then guide you throughout airports and new cities is
likely what you're looking for.  Everyone has unique needs when it
comes to their guide dogs.  But when you're a performer, it's extra
important to get it right, since your appearance and reputation are
part of your package.

Very good questions!

Julie