[NAGDU] Shopping with a guide dog and indoor relieving?

Julie Johnson julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Jun 4 18:41:10 UTC 2019

At the store I get a store employee or my own shopper/reader person to push
the cart.   I try to keep them talking so I can follow and give my dog
directions.

When I leave the store, if I have only a few things I have a backpack or I
will use a reusable grocery bag and carry it in my right hand. I also have a
pull behind cart that is about the size of a milk crate that works well for
heavier things.  Usually though I have transportation home.  The store where
I do most of my shopping has people to carry your stuff to the car.

My dogs get a bit confused about the pull behind cart at first, but after a
block or two we've got it worked out and operating smoothly.

My boy dog will use the indoor relief area at the airport, if he has to go
bad enough.  No way would my girl dog do any such thing as to disgrace
herself indoors.   She doesn't like going outside in bad weather either.  I
try to take advantage of breaks in the rain to take her out, if I can,
otherwise she'll have to deal with it.  I do try to find a place that is on
the lee side and protected a bit from the wind or a building overhang if I
can.  Honestly though we are just going to get wet/cold/sweaty sometimes.

I keep all the dog's stuff, pick up baggies, hand sanitizer, gentle leader
or whatever in a bag attached to the dog's harness.  I only carry around
treats with a new dog or if I'm working on something new.  Most treat
pouches have extra pockets where you could keep bags, hand sanitizer or
other small items.  I haven't carried a purse in years.  If my stuff doesn't
fit in the dog's harness pouch, in my pockets or in my wallet, it stays at
home.   I do take more stuff when I travel out of town, but it goes in the
suitcase.

HTH
Julie
On The Go with Guide-and-Service-Dogs.com
http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com
also find my products in the Blind Mice Mega Mall
<https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=1916046>