[NAGDU] signs for recognizing dog's need to retire

Susan Jones sblanjones11 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 6 13:08:23 UTC 2019

Dear Daniel and listers,

The biggest factor for me is my dog's desire to work and/or effectiveness as
a guide.

When I begin to realize that I'm shaping my life and my activities around
what my dog used to do, but can't now, or is unwilling, then I need to think
about her retirement.
Of course, health and safety issues also are extremely important.

I believe my dogs deserve a good retirement after a life of faithful
service.  I need to do what's fair to the dog, as well as what works for me.

Retirement is a big decision that requires much thought, prayer,
consultation with one's vet, one's school, and any others whose input you
value.  Every team's working life is different.

You also need to think about what your dog's life will be like in
retirement.  Will he live in your home?  Does she have a place where someone
will be home most of the time, give her adequate exercise and attention?

These are my thoughts.  I'm sure many will chime in.

Susan, whose Guiding Eyes dog Liza is retired