[NAGDU] signs for recognizing dog's need to retire

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Jun 6 13:26:06 UTC 2019

Hi Daniel.
I have had 7 dogs now, so I have been through the retirement decision a few
times.  It's never easy.  Almost everyone I know has decided one day the dog
needs to retire, then changed their mind the next day.
These are my thoughts:
Try to put your dog's needs first, and push aside your own feelings about
it.  Is she slowing down significantly?  Does she have the same enthusiasm
for the work?  Is she having trouble with things like climbing stairs or
lying on buses?  Old bones get stiff.
My last dog retired because he was slowing down quite a bit.  He was 10, and
I decided he'd enjoy retirement with casual walks, which he did.  I also
noticed he was having more difficulty climbing up into buses.  It wasn't a
big problem, but it wasn't as easy as it had been.
The dog before him retired when she was 11 and a half.  She lost her
enthusiasm for going new places.  She would do it because I asked her to,
but I could tell she didn't really enjoy it and was happy to get back home.

For my last 2 retirements, I have been able to plan ahead.  When I thought
the dog would retire in the next year or so, I put in my application for a
new dog, with a hold on it saying when I would be ready.  It gave me time to
get used to the idea, and to plan for time off work.  It gave the school
time to look around for a dog who would suit my needs.  When it got to
around 3-4 months of when I'd be ready, I'd call and activate my
application.

I think it helps emotionally if you can keep your old dog.  I know not
everyone can do that, but I can, and it's great.  It does take some
organization, though.  My dogs have been able to hang up the harness and
stay in a familiar place, taking sniffy walks with my husband, or going with
him to hang out on a park bench and watch the world go by.  It means I have
to deal with old dog problems, and the terrible sadness when the dog dies,
but I know I've given them the best life I can.
HTH.
Tracy