[NAGDU] differences between male and female guide dogs

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 15:07:12 UTC 2019

I've heard a lot of generalizations based on gender, but I have not
personally witnessed any significant difference between adult male and
female dogs, particularly when they are spayed or neutered. Most
people say males are more cuddly and affectionate while females are
more independent. Or that males mark and females don't.

I've had one male and one female guide, a female GDIT, two female
pets, and a male I lived with but didn't technically belong to me.
Overall, I can make general statements about breed and how the dog was
bred and raised, but I can't make generalizations about gender.

The only generalization I can make is about puppies/adolescent dogs.
Males physically develop bladder control more quickly and therefore
tend to be house broken and crate trained more quickly. Females tend
to mature more quickly, and therefore female puppies tend to be
slightly more advanced in their early obedience training.

Danielle