[NAGDU] trimming a guide dog's nails

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 21:51:36 UTC 2019

I don't know of any guide dog program that teaches students how to trim nails. They either don't really talk much about it, or make a big deal out of how only experienced sighted people should clip nails.
I trim all of my dogs' nails myself. To be honest, it's not as big a deal as everyone makes it out to be. By feeling the nail, you can tell how long it is and know approximately what a good length should be. The overgrown part of the nail will be sharp, pointed, and curved. A nail that is short enough will usually have a more flat naturally worn feel. Press gently with the nail clipper, and if you are cutting at a good spot, the nail will feel brittle. If you have gone too far back, the quick will feel spongy.
I do not use the guard on the clippers, because it makes it impossible to feel how much of the nail you are cutting. I prefer to be able to know exactly how much nail is through the clippers, which is how much you will be cutting off. I personally use a plier style clipper. And yes, I am totally blind and have yet to cut the quick in the last five years of nail clipping.
Danielle

Sent from my iPhone