[NAGDU] Questions from a potential future guide dog user.

Sandra Gayer sandragayer7 at gmail.com
Thu May 9 20:43:53 UTC 2019

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the list and I use a long cane. I apologise in advance if
my questionshave been asked before or seem dim to all of you seasoned
guide dog owners.

I know guide dogs are taught to guide you around obstacles and find a
clear rout but, what if there is no clear rout?

I use walls, rails and other edges to know where I am. However, I know
that guide dogs are taught to walk in the centre of a path. Does
anyone find this disorientating? I get a, sort of, no man's land
feeling when I'm in open spaces. Is this something you learn to get
used to?

I'm a Singer, an Actor and a Broadcast Presenter. I travel to new
places quite a lot. I have read that guide dogs thrive on routine.
Does that mean that the guide dog wouldn't perform well in new
environments?

I'm wondering if anyone has come across a person using a guide dog but
using a cane on the right side? I just don't see how else I could get
information about the ground; slight rises, dips, there is shared
curbing in the UK, where I live, and although this means there is no
curbe, there is a slight difference in texture to the ground. Also,
things like changes in relief are communicated easily through the
cane.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Very best wishes,
Sandra.