[NAGDU] Questions from a potential future guide dog user.

Aleeha Dudley blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com
Thu May 9 20:58:39 UTC 2019

Hi Sandra,
I have been using a guide dog for almost 5 years now and am also a proficient cane user. Here are some things I’ve ound
First, if I am in a situation where I cannot tell what is in front of me and my dog has stopped moving because they can’t find a way around, I carry a small telescoping cane that I can use to figure out what is in our way. Better my cane be broken than my face. :)
I learned very quickly to feel under my feet for the elevation changes and listen for openings in walls or other landmarks. The dog will also learn to recognize familiar turns or landmarks and indicate them with a turn of the head or by pausing.
While dogs enjoy routine, there are many dogs that are adaptable to new situations and new routes. My dog is one of these dogs. She loves new areas and situations, and would be very happy if we travelled a lot. Some dogs’ routines are, for lack of a better phrase, the lack of routine, if that makes sense.
I hope this helps with some of your concerns.
Aleeha Dudley