[NAGDU] Does anyone have this (service dog) information?

Peter Wolf pwolf1 at wolfskills.com
Fri May 10 00:05:28 UTC 2019

Hi friends,

We’re going back over to Europe soon.  We’ve had successful experiences there.

As you know, Metukah works with my vision.  That’s obvious because of my cane and gear.   But as I’ve mentioned, my wife also teams with a working dog.  But it’s for head injury/navigation issues, not vision.  We recently heard that in Europe, someone had an access issue (in a couple of locations) where they were told their dog’s vest had “the wrong color”.  I’ve never heard of this, except recently.  In eight working team years, none of us have had that issue here, or when we’ve travelled.  At least not yet.  Frankly, it’s all about the working relationship, not a vest, to us.  We wouldn’t care if changing colors helped us out there, where there is a narrower access window than we have here.  (For example, service or not, we’ll pay a “dog fee” for hotels.  However, many of them are dog friendly.  Here in the US because of “pet” behavior, we only tell a hotel we’re coming with a working dog *after* being assigned a clean room, so we don’t get a room that dogs have misbehaved in).   Anyhow, do any of you know about this, and what “color” seems to be more culturally acceptable over there in the EU, or specific counries within it?  We’re going to Switzerland, Italy, and possibly France and Germany on the back end.  I would never put up with this here, but rules are different over there.

Thanks,
Peter