[NAGDU] Questions from a potential future guide dog user.

Julie Johnson julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed May 15 23:40:54 UTC 2019

Once upon a time, I used to be nutso about bathing my dog.  I gave her a
bath every Friday without fail for years.  That was 15 years ago now and
I've learned that daily brushing, a nutritious diet and perhaps a spritz of
nice smelling stuff once in a while works just fine.  My dog back then
didn't have problems with dry skin, but that is definitely a concern with
frequent bathing.

Currently I haven't given my older dog, who is mostly retired, a bath in 6
months.  He smells pretty much the same as he did 5 months and 28 days ago.
My main working guide is a Doberman, hates baths, has dry skin and super
short fur.  For her I use a wet washcloth and a few spritzes of a coat
conditioner every couple of months.  She gets groomed about once a week with
a silicone bristle brush.  The super easy grooming is one of the things I
love about Dobermans!  My older Lab/Boxer mix gets groomed a few times a
week, daily would probably be best, but life happens and I don't stress
about it.  I've had dogs in my past who required absolutely daily grooming
for at least 15 minutes to keep them neat and clean.  I'd plan on 5 to 10
minutes a day for grooming and adjust as needed depending on your dog's
needs and the season.

I do not do anything special about urine clean up.  However, I had a dog in
the past who would turn the grass yellow where ever she peed.  Soaking the
area with water fixed it and I rotated where she went as much as I could
manage.  If your dog goes in the same area frequently, the smell can get
strong after a while, especially in summer.

HTH
Julie
On The Go with Guide-and-Service-Dogs.com
http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com
also find my products in the Blind Mice Mega Mall
<https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=1916046>