[NAGDU] King of the Creepers

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Wed May 22 18:32:45 UTC 2019

Tracy,

I definitely was not trying to talk about you or anyone else
specifically in my previous messages. I was just trying to generally
explain some of the appropriate situations in which to use treats to
optimize performance vs. situations where handlers tend to use them
incorrectly as a crutch, giving food rewards a bad reputation.

Creeping up to targets or obstacles is often associated with a lack of
confidence. Both of my dogs' favorite part of guiding is targeting.
however, Jackie creeps up to down curbs or obstacles every once in a
while for example if she didn't clear the obstacle correctly the last
time, or got a correction for taking one step too far into the street.
Thai would creep up to a few specific doors because people would often
open them really quickly without paying attention and hit him or me.

I wouldn't expect a "city dog" to struggle with confidence though
unless there was a particular negative experience, so it might be a
different reason.

The clicker is usually a great tool for targeting and confidence
building, because it provides a high rate of reinforcement, precise
clarity on the behavior, and gives the dog a sense of control without
the possibility of being corrected for making a mistake. No tool is
ever going to work for every dog in every situation though. If the
clicker does not provide lasting results, then it probably isn't the
right tool. I don't necessarily think it would be a bad thing to
provide the occasional food reward for targeting if the dog clearly
isn't particularly enjoying it. Sometimes you need to do what
motivates a particular dog in a particular situation. Now if he will
*only* target if you have treats on you, that is an issue.

I really hope you are able to get some helpful suggestions during
follow up. I would definitely be interested to know if you find a
solution.

Danielle, Thai, and Jackie