[NAGDU] Fixing pokiness

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed May 29 14:05:31 UTC 2019

I had follow-up yesterday, which was useful, and some of the tips might help
Jean, too, or someone else.

My follow-up was for a strong left tendency, but also touches on hesitancy.
The stuff the trainer said is stuff I've heard for decades, but still need
to be reminded about sometimes.

1.        Keep a firm tension on the harness, so he feels me and I feel him.
When I first did this, he stopped, but a little encouragement got him going,
and then he went faster.

2.       2.  If he slows down, I have to immediately slow down, too, and
keep up the firm tension in the harness.

3.       If he slows down because of a crowd, I should encourage him, and be
sure not to move up on him, trying to go faster.

That's pretty much it.  Simple, ay?  Heard it a million times, right?

The trainer thinks Krokus is a touch slow for me (which is true), and we've
both gotten used to not having much tension in the harness, but that's not
really working for us.  She also thinks I haven't been correcting him as
much as I should, especially for sniffing.  I keep telling him "No more nice
guy!", but then I forget again.

Anyway, keeping a firm tension in the harness, and insisting he work right
up to things, was already making a difference in his creeping, occasional
hesitance, and to some degree his left tendency yesterday, so I'll really
try to keep it in mind.

Tracy