[NAGDU] Does an American white cane have red tip?

Julie Johnson julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Sep 1 12:11:00 UTC 2019

Some white canes have red tips here, but not all.  It is up to the
individual user as to what sort of cane they choose to use.  Laws differ
slightly from state to state, but generally say that motorists must yield to
any blind/visually impaired pedestrian using a white/silver colored cane
with or without a red tip or a blind/visually impaired pedestrian
accompanied by a guide dog.   Some blind people choose to use canes in a
variety of other colors, blue, pink, black etc.  My personal opinion is that
using a not white/silver cane is not going to give you the specific white
cane law provisions, but general pedestrian laws will absolutely still
apply.

Here we get into the history of blindness in the U.S.  Once upon a time it
was considered to be contributory negligence for a blind person to be out
and about alone.  So if a driver hit a blind pedestrian, with or without a
cane, it was considered to be at least partly the fault of the blind
pedestrian, who shouldn't have been out in the first place.  What we call
the white cane laws put an end to this.  For about 60 years now every state
has a law addressing blind pedestrians, removing automatic fault due to
blindness.  Essentially this made blind pedestrians the same as any other
pedestrian.

So much of the law is tangled up with history.  It's all very facinating to
me.

Julie
On The Go with Guide-and-Service-Dogs.com
http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com
also find my products in the Blind Mice Mega Mall
<https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=1916046>