[NAGDU] Service Dog Questions

Rox Homstad pawpower4me at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 13:27:03 UTC 2019

Hello Dave,
There are many resources on the internet for owner trainers. It really depends on what tasks the person needs and what methods they will be using.
I personally like the training levels by Sue Ailsby because it is not specifically for service dogs but if you follow her levels you will end up with a dog who can do many behaviors which are necessary for service dogs to know.
http://sue-eh.ca/page24/page26/styled/
As for someone requesting that rehab buy them a puppy, I have never heard of that and even when I was a client using rehab services, I purchased my own dog/s.
Firstly, with a puppy, depending on the tasks required, the dog may be 2 or older before it can begin training-- thinking of mobility dogs in particular here.
The puppy should be at least a year, for for no other reason than mental maturity before you can say its fully trained, and that is still very, very young.
If this person is unable/unwillingto buy a puppy, how do they plan to pay for necessary medical expenses such as neutering the dog which can range from 100 dollars to 500 dollars depending.  How will they pay for hip and elbow x-rays if the dog is going to be doing weight-bearing tasks such as guidework or mobility work.
How will they pay for equipment, I bought a puppy in March, I paid about 1200 dollars for her, in that time alone I have spent probably 200 dollars just on equipment-- leashes, collars, in training vests, etc. Puppies grow, and they grow quickly. The vest I bought Phoenix in May is now too small for her in September, and she's still growing.
My point here is that if rehab is going to be funding this, it could cost more than expected with an outcome that is not promised.  You can buy a great puppy, with great parents, who have proven health and temperament tests, who works in the field, and still have to wash out your puppy.  The guide dog programs wash out I believe it is 50% of their trainees for various reasons.
I'm obviously an advocate for owner trainers and owner training.  But it is unreasonable I would think for the government to take on this responsibility with those kinds of odds.
Just my .02. If you do find that this has been done before though, I'd be interested to know.
Good luck!

Rox'E and the Kitchen Bitches
Soleil, Rowan, Phoenix
pawpower4me at gmail.com