[NAGDU] Service Dog Questions

Vivianna irishana at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 13:38:58 UTC 2019

Hello.
I have never heard of such a thing personally.
I am an owner-trainer myself and, i definitely would not suggest that a rehab agency purchase a puppy. Here are my reasons.
Who will choose this puppy?
Who will pay for it’s vet bills?
Who will pay for it’s training?
What if the pup is not suitable for guide work?
There is a good possibility the pup will wash out, then what?
Who will re-home the pup?
Then, will you purchase yet another pup?

I am all in favor of owner-training but, along with that comes the responsibility which includes financial.
IMHO, if you want a guide that is already payed for, it’s best to go to a school.
You must also consider, the purchase of the puppy is the least of the costs of owner-training a guide. If the person is unable to make the initial purchase then, do they have the ability to afford the entire process? All vet bills including spay or neuter, dog training gear, dog training from a professional if necessary, dog gear such as harness etc, extra for training the dog on buses, in coffee shops, restaurants, ubers, etc, and of course dog food. I would venture to say that from purchasing the puppy to working fully as a guide can take up to 2 years and will cost around $6000 to $10.000. And, much more if one needs help from a professional trainer.
I will be very interested to see what others have to say on the subject.
Please note; this is only my opinion.

Vivianna

Sent from my iPhone