[NAGDU] Guide Dogs and Office Jobs

Elizabeth Campbell batescampbell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 14:14:39 UTC 2020

Hi everyone, I have a job where I am in the office, but I also spend time
out in the field.
I agree that the first year of having a guide dog is the most frustrating
because you are still bonding and learning about one another. Also, I think
the younger dogs like to see how much they can get away with. For instance,
when I got my current guide Barbara, she chewed through two leashes and
wriggled out of her collar while I was at work. She then decided it would
be fun to run as fast as she could through the newsroom, and it took three
people to chase her down! Fortunately, I work in an environment where
people thought that her behavior was a great stress reliever. I had to
explain that Barb could not get away with those antics. She calmed down
after the first year. I also think having some toys and going out for walks
really helps.

--
Elizabeth Campbell