[NAGDU] Introduction and question

Brent Franklin bfranklin at woolworths.com.au
Fri May 22 01:08:39 UTC 2020

Hello Asia,

Gosh, talk about being thrown in to the deep end.

There are so many things to consider, I’m not going to mention any foods
except to say there will be a food that works better than others. It
depends on your dog as to which one.

Then there is the debate about with or without grains, all I will say
there, is once again it depends on the dog.

My first guide, nothing seemed to effect him, but the other two have had
different issues that I’ve been able to solve. With my current guide, my
vet was concerned about his general gut health, and explained that once a
dog had problems the health of the gut suffered. The vet suggested finding
a good probiotic would make a big difference. So off I went to find one, I
use one called “protexin” it comes in a powder form, I put it in to his
food, and two days later it had started working wonders.

Combine a probiotic with the food you feel is working best for your boy,
and that might help to go a very long way to solving the problem. You are
going to have to work out which food, and then a probiotic of your choice.

My second tip is make sure your dog is drinking enough water, as my vet
pointed out this can be an issue that then causes the problems you mention.

My third tip, and I see another email has already mentioned this is the
“toilet harness”. I feel I can comment further on that, as when on the
Board of my school I introduced it to the Board, and the staff were against
using it, but got direction from the Board that it was to be introduced.

I have trained my dogs to only poo when the toilet harness is on. There is
never any mess to clean up, and it fits easily in to your pocket. I don’t
have it on my dog when walking him, I’ve trained him to pull over and stop
if I’m out and he really has to go. He will wait, standing there for me to
put the toilet harness with bag attached on him. He goes then, and we get
on with the walk.

I also think this stops dogs just going anywhere, because they if trained
the way AI did it, won’t poo without it on. Generally when I leave home my
dog doesn’t need to go, but he knows exactly what to do should he need to.

Here at work, I put it on him at lunch time, and he goes then. He will also
go at home before I leave for work, and I give him the chance after dinner.

Speaking of dinner, that brings me to my next tip.

My first two dogs were not split fed, meaning they ate only one meal a day,
and that was at night. When getting my current boy, the school told me
they’d changed how this was done, and all dogs were now split fed, meaning
they would have half there meal in the morning, and the other half at night.

I continued on with this until 4 years ago. My vet happened to ask me about
this, and suggested I not split his feed, but go back to what I’d done with
my first two guides, and that was to give him his complete feed at night. I
informed the vet I’d been split feeding him from the time he came in to my
life and that had been five years before. My vet insisted it didn’t matter,
this was what he wanted me to do, starting that very day. I was concerned
that it should be a gradual process, and my vet said “no” start tonight, no
mucking around.

A combonation of all of the above has worked for my dog, and I had the
exact issues you were having.

I hope this might be of some help.

Please keep me informed.

The very best of luck.