[NAGDU] Question Regarding Guide Dog Schools

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Oct 26 13:35:50 UTC 2020

Hi Megan.
My dog is from The Seeing Eye.  My boy is a lab, but they have enough
shepherds to easily serve the people who are devoted to that breed.  The
Seeing Eye does not do home training for first-time guide dog users, so far
as I know. Many people have asked, but I've never heard of anyone getting
it, as a first-timer.
They are an excellent school, and their shepherds are high-quality.

I had dogs from GDB for many years.  I was very happy with them, though that
was before GDB substantially changed its training methods.  I am not sure
that their current dogs are tough enough to work in the urban conditions I
live and work in.  I hear they're very soft now. But, more to the point,
part of the reason I switched to TSE is that I live about 45 minutes away
from the school.  I train in very similar conditions to the places I live
and work.  If I have a problem, someone can be out to help me pretty
quickly, much faster than it took for someone from GDB to arrange a plane
flight, if they felt it was worth that much effort.  I think it's something
to consider when choosing a school, if a person happens to live near one
they feel is of good quality.
Tracy