[NAGDU] NFB Code of Conduct policy on diversity

judotina48kg at gmail.com judotina48kg at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 22:01:12 UTC 2021

Code of Conduct

Please note: While the Code of Conduct suggests that reports be made within
a year of an incident with the exception of special circumstances, President
Riccobono clarified on the
<https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases>
February presidential release that all current reports submitted will be
reviewed, regardless of when the incident occurred, until at least August 1,
2021. This is part of our ongoing commitment to transformative change and
accountability and we want those who have been harmed to have an opportunity
to be heard. If you have feedback or concerns, please reach out to the
Survivor Task Force at  <mailto:survivors at nfb.org> survivors at nfb.org.

Our code of conduct outlines the policies and standards that all National
Federation of the Blind members, especially our leaders, are expected to
adopt and follow. To report a potential violation of this code, please
consult section IX below. Reports can be filed using the
<https://www.nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/code-conduct/code-condu
ct-complaint-report-form> code of conduct complaint form or by calling our
dedicated voicemail box at 410-659-9314, extension 2475.

For additional information, please review the
<https://nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/code-conduct/code-conduct-f
requently-asked-questions> Code of Conduct Frequently Asked Questions.

I. Introduction

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. The Federation
knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your
future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can
live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back. To help carry
out the Federation's vital mission, this Code of Conduct sets forth policies
and standards that all members, employees, and contractors are expected to
adopt and follow.

II. Diversity Policy

The National Federation of the Blind celebrates and embraces diversity and
full participation as core values in its mission to achieve equality,
opportunity, and security for the blind. We are committed to building and
maintaining a nationwide organization with state affiliates and local
chapters that is unified in its priorities and programs and is directed by
the membership. We respect differences of opinion, beliefs, identities, and
other characteristics that demonstrate that blind people are a diverse cross
section of society. Furthermore, the organization is dedicated to continuing
to establish new methods of membership and leadership development that
reflect the diversity of the entire blind community. In promoting a diverse
and growing organization, we expect integrity and honesty in our
relationships with each other and openness to learning about and
experiencing cultural diversity. We believe that these qualities are crucial
to fostering social and intellectual maturity. Intellectual maturity also
requires individual struggle with unfamiliar ideas. We recognize that our
views and convictions will be challenged, and we expect this challenge to
take place in a climate of tolerance and mutual respect in order to maintain
a united organization. While we encourage the exchange of differing ideas
and experiences, we do not condone the use of demeaning, derogatory, or
discriminatory language, action, or any other form of expression intended to
marginalize an individual or group. The National Federation of the Blind
does not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color,
religion, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national
origin, citizenship, marital status, age, genetic information, disability,
or any other characteristic or intersectionality of characteristics.