[NAGDU] Resolution 2015-25

Marion Gwizdala, blind411 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 25 16:40:51 UTC 2021

Dear All,

                I know that throughout my administration many members seemed
to grow tired of my questioning of guide dog training programs about their
ownership policies. I hope everyone now sees my concerns were legitimate.
One of the ways I attempted to make a change in ownership policies was to
introduce a resolution concerning this, thus asking our membership to weigh
in on the issue. To my surprise, the motion obviously failed on a floor vote
but I took the chance our leadership would see it differently; however,, the
resolution failed on a roll call vote. I thought it might be edifying to see
what was written six years ago and what the membership and the national
leadership voted against. Below is the text of resolution 2015-25 concerning
unconditional ownership of our guide dogs upon completion of training.
Please note there is information that is not current: Guide dogs of America
(GDA) no longer provides ownership upon completion of training while Guide
Dogs of Texas does.

Resolution 2015-25

Concerning unconditional Ownership of Guide Dogs Upon completion of Training

Proponents: Marion Gwizdala & Michael Hingson

WHEREAS, In 2011 the national Association of Guide dog Users (NAGDU)
published (The Braille Monitor 54:6) and unanimously passed the Guide Dog
Consumers' bill of Rights during their annual meeting; and

WHEREAS, Section 5(a) of the Guide Dog consumers' bill of Rights states,
"The Consumer shall be given legal title, ownership, and possession of the
dog upon completion of the training program. Such title, ownership, or
possession shall not be revoked, suspended, or otherwise interfered with
without due process and in accordance with other provisions of this
document"; and

WHEREAS, Four guide dog training programs in the United States - Freedom
Guide dogs for the Blind, Guide Dogs of America, the Guide dog Foundation,
and The Seeing Eye - currently transfer unconditional ownership to the guide
dog user upon completion of training; and

WHEREAS, All other guide dog training programs either place conditions upon
the transfer of ownership, such as mandatory retirement ages, the right to
repossess the dog without due process, annual reporting requirements, and
other conditions incongruent with unconditional ownership or impose
probationary periods during which a consumer is required to demonstrate
their suitability for ownership; and

WHEREAS, There have been several instances in which guide dog training
programs that do not provide unconditional ownership upon completion of
training have threatened consumers with removal of their dogs or have
actually repossessed dogs without cause and without due process; and

WHEREAS, Unconditional ownership prevents such arbitrary, capricious, and
subjective  interference, intervention, intrusion, coercion, threats,
duress, and intimidation, and

WHEREAS,, It has been demonstrated by those guide dog training programs that
transfer unconditional ownership upon completion of training that granting
such unconditional ownership has a positive effect upon the success of a
guide dog team, its safety, and the long-term health of the guide dog;and

WHEREAS, Anecdotal information from guide dog users demonstrates that
consumers are more likely to seek assistance for training , safety,
behavioral, or health issues when they feel confident their possession of
the guide dog will not be compromised; and

WHEREAS, Policies other than unconditional ownership upon completion of
training are paternalistic, archaic , and, as such, are incongruent with the
philosophy and policies of the National Federation of the Blind: Now,
therefore,

BE IT RESOLVED By the National Federation of the Blind in convention
assembled this # day of July, 2015 in Orlando, Florida, that this
organization demand that all guide dog training programs develop policies
and practices to transfer unconditional ownership of guide dogs to their
consumers upon completion of training; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That these policies include an unwillingness to
accept anonymous complaints and due processes as outlined by the National
Association of Guide Dog Users Guide Dog consumers' bill of Rights.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that this organization commend Freedom guide dogs for
the Blind, Guide Dogs of America, The Guide Dog Foundation, and The Seeing
Eye for their recognition of the capacity of the blind as demonstrated by
their policies of unconditional ownership upon completion of training.

now do.

Marion Gwizdala

(813) 626-2789

Blind411 at verizon.net