[NAGDU] Before You Sign on the dotted Line: Understanding your training program contract

Marion Gwizdala, blind411 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 29 19:26:23 UTC 2021

Please circulate the following message as widely as appropriate.Ssocial
media is an excellent way to spread the word!

                The widespread publicity about the recent repossession of a
nearly ten-year-old guide dog by Southeastern Guide Dogs has left many
wondering how they are protected from such arbitrary, unwarranted intrusion
in their lives. Most admit they have never read the contract and wonder what
they might have agreed to. Others are applying to training programs and want
to know what the contract says before beginning training. Everyone wants to
know how they can protect themselves if this ever happens to them!

                On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 8:00 p.m. Eastern (7:00 p.m.
Central; 6:00 p.m. Mountain; & 5:00 p.m. Pacific), Advocates for Service
Animal Partners (ASAP) will host an informative webinar entitled, "Before
You Sign on the dotted Line: Understanding your training program contract".
This interactive discussion will be facilitated by Marion Gwizdala,
featuring Cody Davis, a blind attorney and guide dog user. Topics will
include

                *"I signed what?" - The importance of reading the contract
before you start your training

                *"Does it really say that?" - Troubling clauses from real
contracts

                *"Possession is 9/10 of the law!" - It's easier to keep what
you have than to get what you don't

                *""Is it really mine?" - An overview of property rights

                *"What can the cops do?" - Contract enforcement or criminal
trespassing

                During the webinar we will offer opportunities to ask
questions. You can submit your questions in advance by sending your question

Blind411 at verizon.net <mailto:Blind411 at verizon.net>

With "Webinar Question" in the subject line. Please include your first name
and the city and state where you live. We will also offer opportunities to
ask spontaneous questions by text or email during the webinar. Space is
limited on a first come/first in basis. The information provided during this
seminar is intended as informal guidance only and should not be construed as
legal advice. To join the webinar, please select one of the following:

Join Zoom Meeting

<https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85150236813?pwd=MUJBUldWbmNpL3dkb05wckhrQVJlQT09>
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85150236813?pwd=MUJBUldWbmNpL3dkb05wckhrQVJlQT09

Meeting ID: 851 5023 6813

Passcode: 646360

One tap mobile

+13017158592,,85150236813#,,,,*646360# US (Washington DC)

+13126266799,,85150236813#,,,,*646360# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location

        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)

        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

        +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)

Meeting ID: 851 5023 6813

Passcode: 646360

                Advocates for Service Animal Partners (ASAP) is an expanding
nationwide network of service animal advocates. Our goal is to encourage,
educate, and support service animal handlers through printed and electronic
publications, Informational webinars, recorded educational materials, and
direct advocacy support, intervention, and mediation. In support of this
mission, we also seek to educate employers, governmental entities, private
companies, housing accommodations, and the airline industry about the
rights, responsibilities, and limitations of Service animal access under
state and federal law. In addition, Advocates for Service Animal Partners
intends to influence public policy and laws affecting disabled individuals
who use service animals through the strengthening of state laws concerning
access and removing barriers to that access.  If you would like to have an
impact on public policy and perception, understand the issues affecting
service animal partners, learn self-advocacy skills, join our advocacy
network, and stay abreast about the effort of ASAP, please send an email
message to

blind411 at verizon.net <mailto:blind411 at verizon.net>

Watch for our social media launch in early April and the ASAP Hotline in
June!

Advocates for Service animal Partners (ASAP)

(813) 626-2789

Blind411 at verizon.net <mailto:Blind411 at verizon.net>

Marion Gwizdala

(813) 626-2789