[NAGDU] Dogs and Canes in Tandem?

rdgraves2007 at gmail.com rdgraves2007 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 11:56:22 UTC 2022

Greetings Once Again,

Back again with my 2nd question. I'm wondering if any of you use your dog
and your cane at the same time when exploring unfamiliar environments?

As I've posted here before, I didn't decide to try using a dog until later
in life. As a result, the learning curve relative to the transition from
cane to dog was quite steep. My initial instructor was very condescending;
not encouraging at all, so I didn't get the same quality of training as
others likely did. Anyway, shortly after Izzo and I got together I took a
pretty nasty fall. This was likely my fault, but nonetheless, it was
frightening. That said, I  remain very apprehensive when in unfamiliar
environments wherein I don't know exactly where the curbs and steps are.

Have any of you had similar experiences? Do you see any problems with
walking with the dog while checking out the new or unfamiliar environment
with the cane at the same time?

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

Diane Graves