[NAGDU] Dogs and Canes in Tandem?

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Apr 28 14:50:22 UTC 2022

It is good to have a cane with you, if only for emergencies.
I was recently in class, and we worked on using a cane in a sidewalkless
area to check that my new dog wasn't drifting away from the curb.  We also
used canes in the early part of class while we were still heeling the dogs
in the building.  My instructor kept reminding me not to swing the cane in a
way so it went in front of the dog, because it might make him anxious.  That
took some getting used to.  So now, if I use a cane while I'm out working,
which I almost never do, I'll have to take careful thought of how I'm waving
it about.  But Igloo is particlularly alert to things, and another dog might
not really care.
Tracy