[NAGDU] Dogs and Canes in Tandem?

Sharon S koala at areujoking.com
Mon May 2 14:37:51 UTC 2022

Hi, I never used to carry a cane while working my dog until one day when she stopped for no reason twice. It was at the same point both times but both times there were other people with me and they couldn't see the problem. It was just at the side of the road where there was a crossing. One time another dog user had already walked across in front of me so there should have been no issues. I told my dog to go forward but she wouldn't move, I had a sighted partner of the other dog owner, walking along with us and she couldn't see any reason for the dog to have stopped. The other time I also had someone with sight with us and again they couldn't see why the dog had stopped.

It was after this I got my first telescope cane to carry in my bag. The school at the time weren't happy about giving out that sort of cane for regular use but once I explained it was only to be used if there was a problem with my dog they were fine with it.

I have never used a cane while working my dog and thankfully I never had a problem like I had above again.

Bye for now.
>From Shaz.
Canberra, Australia.

I don’t suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute.