[NAGDU] Spirit Airlines incident

motleyglo at aol.com motleyglo at aol.com
Wed Sep 7 13:13:42 UTC 2022

Hi All,
I heard that story quite a while ago. The dog was not a guide dog. Most guide dog denial or removal stories seem to be related to the size of the dog or failing to restrain the dog.
 Removal Of Blind Man, Service Dog From Flight Sparks Outrage : The Two-Way : NPRservice dog removed from airplane - Bing video
Here are some related videos. service dog removed from airplane - Bing video
I have to say, the small seating space in a plane does not comfortably allow a guide dog (which is usually 60+ pounds) space to l lay for hours on end. Imagine a 60 pound child laying at his mother's feet during an entire flight without becoming fidgity or distressed. Not happening! Our dogs are well trained, true, but they are not machines and deserve an appropriate space on airlines. I would like to see airline regulations to allow guide dogs and handlers who notify the airlines in advance to have reserved bulkhead seating. Southwest accommodates me with bulkhead seats when flying with my 80 pound lab. Delta will make arrangements but I think you have to call and ask.
Gloria