[NAGDU] Any experience with Golden Doodles?

rainshadow rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 20 06:26:45 UTC 2023

Hi:

I'm on my second poodle who is about to turn  8.  I find their guide work extremely good. Very smart, amazing memeories and good trust worthy instincts.  Where they are more challenging, at least the 2 I've had, is they are very dog interested. Is that the best way to describe?  It means on leash  they will bark at other dogs but can be made to calm down quite quickly. In my neighbourhood we are well known. There are many non guidedogs who respond like him. I'm able to get him to sit and then be quiet within  5- 10 seconds. In harness he can still do this but does it less. He has a tell tail which is when  he feels focused straight ahead. tells me there is a dog coming  and to begin telling him to be quiet and leave it. Walked several kilometers along a sea wall path in Vancouver last week and  we must have met about 15 dogs comeing past us and only once did he react.

I think if you are aware of this behavior and work to lessen it while understanding this is a real poodle thing and they are not aggressive but hyper, experssive and excited they make great guides.

best of luck with your journey. continue gathering information and asking questions. everyone on this list has lots of knowledge and are keen to help others out.

Kind regards,

Gary

Vancouver Canada

On December 18, 2023 7:31:11 AM PST, Parham Doustdar via NAGDU <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>Hi Jenine,
>Wow, this is very helpful, both your personal experience and the wider statistics. Also, the advice on questions at the end was gold.
>The reason I’m asking about cross-breeding with poodles isn’t that I’m allergic to dogs. It’s a couple of reasons. First, this is the guide dog with the shortest waiting list, and their timeline is between 2 weeks to 1 year from the date of application.
>Second, I’ve heard that other breeds like Labradors and Retrievers shed a lot, and Poodle cross breeds don’t, so I figured this might be a good side-effect as well.
>However, I’m not sure if the risk of inherent diseases and higher probability of having to retire the dog early are worth it?
>Also, guide dog schools here aren’t very forthcoming with helpful statistics or information to educate a first-time owner who doesn’t know what to ask. Any other questions you’d suggest I ask them before I commit?
>Thanks,
>Parham
>
>> On 18 Dec 2023, at 15:24, Jenine Stanley via NAGDU <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Parham,
>>
>> My experience with Poodles and Poodle crosses comes from working at Guide Dog Foundation and having worked a Lab/Poodle cross.
>>
>> Poodles in this country have been so overbred it’s difficult to find stable ones with both good health and solid temperament to work as guide dogs. It’s not that they can’t do the work or that they would be a poor choice. It’s more that breeding and selection for the work is very important.
>>
>> You are luckier in Europe that schools have better stock to start with, in theory anyway.
>>
>> When you cross breeds, it’s typically a toss up as to which characteristics you get from each. For example, I think there were 8 or 9 Lab/Poodle crosses in my dog’s litter. Of those 9, 8 made it through class. Each one was very different. Several worked for over 5 years without issues or health problems. Some were retired quickly while my girl retired due to aggression at age 5. We later learned her aggression was due to a vision problem common to Poodles that was very hard to diagnose.
>>
>> I’ve heard from instructors that training Poodles is a lot like training German Shepherds in that you need to compel the dog using other methods than food. Poodles tend to be very particular about their food as many shepherds can be. My girl, Molly, had the Lab tendency toward her food, and anything else she could get into her mouth. 😄

> [...]
>>> Parham