[NAGDU] Traveling

Jenine Stanley jeninems at icloud.com
Mon Feb 6 14:20:43 UTC 2023

Sadly, the issue of poorly controlled animals in airports is caused, in part, by the airlines’ failure to take any responsibility in not allowing them. During the regulation process that lead to the current DOT form, many of the advocates stated that if the airlines had simply said “No” to people with animals that were clearly not controlled in the boarding area or during pre boarding, the issues would probably lessen considerably.

Airline representatives’ response to these statements was that they couldn’t offend the customer so chose not to say anything.

Yes, the advocates pointed out the illogical premiss of this kind of statement. It all goes back to the notion that behavior in public, honed by good handling skills and proper socialization of the animal, should be what is judged when looking at access, not when the animal got vaccines or how much it weighs and where it was trained. That doesn’t mean service animals have to be perfect. It does mean that handlers need to at least be making efforts to correct poor behavior. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤯

Sorry, weary advocate speaking here.