[NAGDU] experiences with Guiding Eyes , and guide dog foundation and guide dogs for the blind

richardfiorello716 at gmail.com richardfiorello716 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 19:07:42 UTC 2023

Hi;
If you are in Georgia you might investigate freedom guide dogs.  They are strictly home training and unfortunately no free stuff.  They do primarily labs and a mix of lab and smooth coat collie.  I like the idea of home training in that the routes I work in training are routes I will actually use when the instructor leaves.  They primarily base their training on praise rather than food.  Can't hurt to investigate.
My concern with treat training is firstly my last dog from geb was a big time scavenger.  If it was on the ground it was his.  Leaves and sticks were his favorite.  The thing was the boy never got sick.  Come was also not in his vocabulary when there was no leash.  He would come within five feet of you and when you reached for him away he went.  Also if you give a dog a food reward if he does something good what do we do when he does something bad?  At seeing eye it’s a larger class on the surface but each instructor is assigned four students and you primarily work with that instructor and your three partners in crime.  It’s a bigger school but it didn't feel at all impersonal.  This might also be something to investigate.  They also don't provide any subsidy.
Best of luck
Richard