[NAGDU] One more thought on SelfID

Julie A. Orozco kaybaycar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 18:19:51 UTC 2023

I see a few issues with self ID.

First, since we are not required to identify ourselves as service
animal users, some of us still will not feel comfortable doing so. I
am concerned that drivers will refuse service animal users and claim
they should have been told ahead of time that the rider had a service
animal. Then Uber will fail to take action because they want to
encourage users to self-identify. This would put disabled people with
service animals in a corner where we are pretty much forced to
identify, even though legally, we are not required to do so.

I also just don't think this will discourage drivers from strategizing
about how to avoid taking us. Drivers come up with all sorts of great
reasons why they don't have to take us: claiming we aren't wearing
masks, driving away and pretending they couldn't find us, forcing us
to cancel the ride and then claiming we were being difficult, etc. I
do not see how self-ID will fix these specific reasons except for the
mask claims, which aren't applicable anymore. Uber drivers can still
just drive right by us and claim they couldn't find us. Self-ID won't
solve that, and it can't because Uber drivers probably always need a
way out in case they really can't find a passenger. It is my
understanding that some drivers actually communicate about how to get
out of taking service animals.

I was extremely disappointed by the Uber presentation earlier. Their
representative didn't say anything we hadn't already heard, and she
did not sound sincere. Drivers are getting braver, and they know there
is no accountability. They see this as a pass to continue breaking the
law.

Finally, I have concerns that self-ID will not fix issues that come up
when drivers claim they have allergies or don't understand for
cultural/language barrier reasons that they need to take our dogs. Is
Uber going to account for those problems when it communicates with the
drivers about taking our service dogs? I remember Lyft telling us last
year that they educate drivers in several different languages. At the
time, I thought Uber had the same thing. But at the meeting the other
night, it sounded like drivers are not even consistently educated
about service dogs in the first place. Perhaps you have accounted this
in your discussions with Uber, but it is a concern that we have to
address in any system we implement with them.

I understand that we are doing all we can, and I have a lot of respect
for the work that is being done. But I absolutely have my doubts about
self-ID and think we should not back down. Uber is showing us that
they will continue to give their drivers an out, particularly since
this self-ID system is their baby and will be under their control.

Thanks for your work,

Julie

--
Julie A. Orozco
MM Vocal Performance, 2015; American University Washington College of