[NAGDU] One more thought on SelfID

Al Elia al.elia at aol.com
Fri Jul 7 17:36:35 UTC 2023

Thank you for  your thoughts and support Julie – Just so I’m clear, what do you mean by “not back down?” What do you propose we do in addition to the work we are currently doing and encouraging riders to do? I share your frustration, and would appreciate any suggestions you have that you believe would be effective.

Your concern regarding those who choose not to self-identify as service animal users came up during our discussion of the SelfID option. We were clear and Uber agreed that driver denials of riders who  do not participate in the SelfID system would receive the same heightened-level investigation that Uber recently assigned to service animal denial complaints, which is the highest safety level. That level is also assigned to complaints of physical and sexual assault complaints.  Of course, the riders would have to file the complaints manually through the app or by phone, as they must do now.

While you are correct that  we ar not required to self-identify as guide dog users, Uber and drivers  may, under current regulations, ask service animal users  if the animal is required because of a disability and what work or task the animal has been trained to perform. Those are the only qquestions riders will be asked in the SelfID-registration process. Generally Uber and drivers are not supposed to ask those questions when it is readily-apparent that an animal is a service animal, but given the number of times I encounter apparently-educated adults on the street who ask me “what’s that thing on the dog’s back for?” I suspect it is not readily apparent to many folks. We hope that the improved driver education will help this,but I’m sure it will not eliminate it.

Our belief is that users will choose to SelfID because they will be denied less often due to the driver being informed in the moment by Uber that they must transport this rider with their service animal. We also believe that  riders will appreciate that   drivers who still  deny after being so informed  will automatically and immediately be suspended pending an investigation of an automatically-filed complaint with evidence that the driver had to know they were denying because of a service animal. We believe this will help to weed-out denying drivers because drivers will see that Uber is taking this seriously with its immediate suspensions and eventual terminations.

However, we could be wrong. That is why we are also insisting that Uber better educate all drivers during onboarding and on an  ongoing basis. We welcome other suggestions as to how Uber and Lyft could reduce or eliminate  driver denials.

I remember when I used to take taxis pre-rideshare, and I frequently had drivers refuse to take me with my guide dog. I had to report them to the taxi companies and/or the authorities. Sometimes that was effective, but sometimes the process took months (e.g., when I had to report  a driver to the NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission, which    continually-  issueed continuances when the driver said they couldn’t  make it to the hearing). The law was on our side then, as it is now, yet we never eliminated denials entirely. I suspect we will never eliminate rideshare denials either. As they say, “haters gonna hate.” Even if we sued Uber and won, we would have to tell the judge what to order Uber to do. Other than inform riders of the outcome of investigations and to provide more and faster data on denial complaints and driver terminations, I honestly do not know what else I would order Uber to do beyond what we have already asked for and been promised. Even a judge cannot simply order Uber to eliminate denials, as courts recognize that Uber cannot simply wave a magic wand and fix things. However, if you or others on the list have thoughts, I welcome them.

Again, thank you for your support.

/Æ